Tuesday 9 February 2016

Berryz Kobo x ℃-ute Cross Talk: Kumai Yurina x Sugaya Risako

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Hello! Project Kids in 2012, a book entitled Rival - 12 shoujo no 10-nen monogatari - (The 10-year legend of the 12 girls) was released. The book contains 2-page discussions between various pairings of the girls, covering all 66 possible combinations. In the process of reading this book, I'll be putting up some highlights as I read through the interviews.


Special Crosstalk Book "RIVAL 12 shoujyo no 10 nen monogatari (10 years stories of 12 girls)" / Berrz Kobo / Cute

Kumai Yurina X Sugaya Risako

ʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔ

Compared to the past, have you become more able to control your feelings?

Sugaya: When we were small, I didn't understand anything at all, so I thought that everything I was told was correct. So maybe I was more stable in the past. But as age caught up to me, perhaps in the way of a grown-up (laughs), I learned what was good and what was bad, and would straight-up point out when something was wrong. I don't really put much thought into how people will see me. On those occasions, I don't know what I shouldn't say, and if I pay too much heed to myself, nothing would get across, so I end up butting heads. And so, from the eyes of those around me, perhaps it might seem like I have less control over my feelings now (laughs).

Kumai: I envy that Risako. Risako is really brimming with confidence, wherever we go, you're always dignified, you have an axis that doesn't waver. The basis for that axis is that you're clear about what you enjoy and what you don't. Perhaps due to that, you might appear to have turbulent emotions, but I really envy Risako, who can say things like that. Whatever happens, I'd be saying nothing but 'What should I do?' or 'OMG OMG'.

So, what if the outfits that had been prepared for you were in a colour that you don't look good in? What would you do?

Sugaya: I'd probably hate it.

Kumai: I'm the type of person who'd wear it, thinking that it can't be helped.

Sugaya: In the past, Kumai-chan didn't seem like she was full of confidence. But at times I'd catch a glimpse of your dancing or acting and think that you were brimming with confidence. That's been happening in these past one or two years. Compared to the past, I'd say that you were dignified, or perhaps, there were countless times when I thought you were really good. Something else that changed is that what you're thinking about shows in your face.

Kumai: Eh, really?

Sugaya: Yup. All the members have said so.

Kumai: I see. It surfaces without me noticing, perhaps. Those are waves of emotion as well, aren't they? I should fix that.

Sugaya: But for those around you, it's better to let it out just a bit. Because if you don't, it gets difficult to make an approach. Kumai-chan, ever since you really started letting your feelings show more, compared to the past, we can tell whether it seems like a good time to talk to you, or whether it's a good time to get close to you because you seem to be enjoying yourself. I prefer that. It's easier to get along with someone who's open.

Once you'd let out your emotions, it seems like you had confidence in singing and acting. What was the trigger?

Kumai: Last year we got to star in a movie (Ousama Game). The shooting was about a year ago, but at first I had no confidence with acting. But I thought about it as a chance that had been given to me, and I should seize it, which led to quite a big change. It was a high hurdle for me, but I guess I changed a bit. I started to enjoy acting, and there was the sense of accomplishment after working hard, so I guess I took a step forward.

Sugaya: That's right. Speaking of the film, I've appeared together in films with Kumai-chan in the past!

Kumai: In 'Hotaru no Hoshi' with Risako and myself and Okai-chan, the 3 of us appeared in the next movies, 'Koinu Dan no Monogatari' and 'Mini moni。jya Movie Okashi na Daibouken!' We fought a lot back then (laughs).

Sugaya: Over really silly things.

Kumai: We were in primary school, but they were low-level fights, as if we were preschoolers. But while Risako is close to me in age, you've always been a girl who's had a mature way of thinking, so there are times when that's helped me out. You can answer clearly, so you can state your opinion, saying things like 'Wouldn't this be better?' Because I've always been the type of person who hesitates easily.

ʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔ

The two of you are close in age, but after 10 years, how do you hope the other person will be like?

Sugaya: The 2 of us will be 29. I'd like to see Kumai-chan get married. Because I think that you're unexpectedly prudent, you'd look at things realistically rather than just looking at the ideals, and while the requirements may be strict (laughs), once that's been cleared, I'd like to see you get married and have children.

Kumai: I'd like to see Risako as a mother as well. I'd like you to go down your own path even as a married woman. 

Sugaya: Just as Kumai-chan says, I'd always like to be myself. I hate the thinking that I should be prim and proper just because I've turned 30, and even when I've become a mother, I'd like to be fashionable as I always am. I'd like to appear how I want to no matter how old I am.

Kumai: I think that suits Risako. If you weren't an idol, I feel that you'd work at Harajuku. Doing hair or make-up, you'd change to match the day's fashion, and I think you'd completely suit the cosplay-ish Harajuku  as well..

Sugaya: Kumai-chan, you'll definitely be modelling. You've got a great figure, and you look so stylish even if the only thing you're doing is standing up, so I think it's completely the line of work for you. I think you'll gain currency in the world!

Kumai: No way, that's impossible (laughs).

Sugaya: So, Kumai-chan, in 10 years time, how would you like to be?

Kumai: Instead, I'd like to aim to become an unornamented woman. Because with my personality, it's impossible for me to be like Risako (laughs), I don't really dress up, and I'd like to become a person who can draw attention even without being stylish.

ʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔ

No comments:

Post a Comment