Tuesday 22 December 2015

Berryz Kobo x ℃-ute Cross Talk: Tokunaga Chinami x Kumai Yurina

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Hello! Project Kids in 2012, a book entitled Rival - 12 shoujo no 10-nen monogatari - (The 10-year legend of the 12 girls) was released. The book contains 2-page discussions between various pairings of the girls, covering all 66 possible combinations. In the process of reading this book, I'll be putting up some highlights as I read through the interviews.


Special Crosstalk Book "RIVAL 12 shoujyo no 10 nen monogatari (10 years stories of 12 girls)" / Berrz Kobo / Cute

Tokunaga Chinami X Kumai Yurina

I don't feel it's the case right now, but were you said to be similar in the past?

Kumai: People did say that. Then we were put into the 'Toku-san Kumai-san' pairing,  where the two of us sang and read out poems.

Tokunaga: At the start, we were always together at tours. At the concerts we did with W-san ('2004 Summer First Concert Tour "W Standby! W & Berryz Kobo!"', '2005 Summer W & Berryz Kobo Concert Tour "High Score!"'), we sang 'Aa Ii na' and 'Robokiss'.

Kumai: We were called something like 'Dekkai W' (Huge W) (laughs).

Tokunaga: However, we didn't really know that we resembled one another. But one day, when I went to McDonalds, I didn't notice that I was being reflected on a mirror, and I said, 'Ah, Kumai-chan, good morning~', and was like 'Eh?' (laughs).

Kumai: It's been a while since I heard that story (laughs).

It's quite the humorous incident (laughs).

Tokunaga: That was the first time that I thought we resembled one another.  My mother who was behind me had a good laugh watching it. 'Why are you waving at the mirror?' (laughs).

ʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔ

Tokunaga: Indeed, it's amusing to say that we're similar, but it also meant that we lacked individuality. After we had done it to death, the 2 of us gradually stopped being paired once I cut my hair short.

Now, the 2 of you are different types.

Kumai: That's right, we're different in height as well (laughs).

ʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔ

Kumai: In my mind, Chii was always smiling and upbeat! In the past, I thought that she was a girl who didn't have any worries (laughs). But once I'd grown-up, I learned that she had other aspects to her besides that, she had her own opinions. 

ʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔ

Tokunaga: Ever since Kumai-chan was small, it didn't really seem like she was insistent, so in my mind, she was this quiet girl that went at her own pace. But we had more time to talk from roughly when we were in senior high, and I found out that she'd held back her opinions before that. And, there was once when I shared a hotel room with Kumai-chan.

Kumai: It was the hotel in Hawaii. About 2 years ago.

Tokunaga: That's right. That was the first time we were sharing a room together, so I was pretty nervous about how it'd turn out (laughs). Scenarios played in my head: 'I'm noisy and keep late hours, I can't be a bother', or 'What should I do if she's the type who has to have the room really neat'. And then Kumai-chan seemed leave her clothes around, so I was like, 'She's that type, I'll be OK!', ever since that night.

Kumai: It was amazing, wasn't it (laughs)?

Tokunaga: I discovered a new Kumai-chan (laughs). On the first day, we talked about the future while we were in bed, and we got so excited on the second day, we played Nishino Kana-san's songs and danced a made-up dance.

Kumai: And we dived into the bed.

Tokunaga: I thought that Kumai-chan wasn't one to enjoy frolicking around, but I found out that she unexpectedly liked it (laughs)! We were having so much fun that our manager-san came to our room in concern, 'The hotel's shaking, are you all right?', it was super funny.

Kumai: After that, we also stayed over in the same room at Seattle.

Tokunaga: We got a room each at the time, but despite our rooms being at the opposite ends of the corridor, I stayed over at Kumai-chan's room. That was fun.

ʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔ

Well then, what would you go if your daughters were to say 'I want to become an idol'?

Tokunaga: If it was me, I think I'd tell her honestly that it's unexpectedly normal. While it might look glamorous, there's unexpectedly a lot of lessons and office work, and behind-the-scenes, it's unexpectedly subdued. If she still wants to do it, I'll tell her to try auditioning.

Kumai: Me too. If she wants to do it no matter what, I think that it'd be fine to do because it's the path that she's chosen, but I'll tell her that if she approaches it lightly, it might be better to quit.

Tokunaga: I myself have yearned for a lifestyle where I would participate club activities, hang out with everyone after school, so I'd want children to enjoy such normal things.

Kumai: We ourselves have also got to experience things that you normally wouldn't get to do, and that might be really valuable, but I'd like to tell her that 'Normal things are just as valuable'.

ʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔʕ♡˙ᴥ˙♡ʔ

No comments:

Post a Comment